Sunday, February 13, 2022

When Winter Covers the Botanic Gardens

On a cold February morning, I decided to explore the Cornell Botanic Gardens.  The snow and ice cover up much of the background clutter to present a different feeling.  Tracks revealed how few visited.  

There is a winter section next to the Herb Garden that features plants offering textures and colors unique to the cold season.  I was immediately drawn to these beautiful trees with their  intriguing peeling bark. 

The entrance to the Herb Garden has a wrought iron gate that I've frequently highlighted on warmer days. In February, it presents a much different message.  Few enter there.

 On the opposite side of the garden is the iconic Yarb Woman statue.  In warmer weather, she is surrounded with rich colors but today she is abandoned.  No visitors except me.

The botanic garden has many artfully crafted benches offering a restful pause among the flora. Today they too have been left deep in snow. 














Yet, my path around Comstock Knoll did find a remnant of the summer flowers.














My final stop is deeper in the arboretum where an ancient willow tree has mostly succumbed to disease. It retains a gnarled trunk bent along the ground from left to right.  There are remaining  a few growing branches arching up from the far side.  I return each year to create images to capture the decline.

When I  review the photos, I realize that winter reveals a lot textures and clean forms. I''m hurrying to do some more of this before the fifth season begins.   A fifth season?  That is "mud season" and it's a real mess. 

Savor each day for whatever it offers.  Maybe "mud season" is made for finding waterfalls?

Paul Schmitt

1 comment:

  1. I find that the tranquility in that garden is even more accessible during winter. My favorite is the remnants of the hydrangea (?). It has a graphic quality.

    ReplyDelete