Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Short Woods Walk in November

 The other day, I ambled through my friend's  woodland with no other purpose than absorbing sights and smells of a golden fall day.  Passing the small pond, the reflections were eye candy.

The large maple has overlooked this pond from a time when Boy Scouts camped nearby.  I wonder if any of them remember those youthful days?   This spring, Wood Ducks rested there on their trip northward.  Now it is quiet and smells of autumn.

Continuing my ramble, I found a few beech leaves still holding on to their branch in the cold breeze.



Most of the beech have died from a foreign disease.  Now, most are just rotting logs on the ground.  How I miss the giant beech adorned with nuts to feed the deer, squirrels and bluejays.  Unlike the oaks and maples, beech seem to curl up tightly.

Continuing a very slow ramble, something odd captured my attention.  These few chestnut oak leaves that landed turned bottom-side up were consistently dotted with water beads.  



All other leaves were soaked through after the morning drizzle.  I postulated that this oak specie has a waxy surface.  But, knowing my inadequate knowledge, I sought the expertise of Robert Westley at the Cornell Botanic Gardens. His reply revealed that chestnut oaks have specialized hairs,  stellate hairs, on the underside of their leaves.  Now, I have to return with my hand magnifier to see them.

It turned out to be a successful outing. Now, I look at autumn with a new awareness.  The expansive fall landscape images miss a lot of the real beauty that can be right under your feet.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment