Tuesday, September 10, 2024

An Autumn Challenge- Capturing the Belted Kingfisher's Flight

My photo interest in the Belted Kingfisher goes back to April 2016 when I found an often-frequented fishing perch on the edge of the large Catherine Marsh that stretches between Montour Falls and Watkins Glen.  This image was the first time that I succeeded in  anticipating the dive toward a fish.  It's not perfect, but still an inspiration. The problem in collecting multiple captures begins with the bird never really giving a hint that it's going to attack. Secondary is that from year to year the perches shift locations. Now, that perch location is choked with duck weed.

In 2020, I again found a good perch area and captured some good inflight results like this.



Camera technology is also improving with faster shutter speeds and eye tracking auto focus.

The real enabler is finding a reliable perch where I can be "unseen".  Got that this autumn. I can even comfortably sit in my SUV.  Here's the dominate bird.

 I say dominate because I've frequently seen warfare with a second kingfisher.  Today I was limited for time, yet got this composite of the bird launching an attack.  Note how the wing positions show a sequence from unfurling the wings,  a strong down stroke, and a recover upwards.  These three are just 1/20 seconds apart.  Just luck.





What's next?  Well, I can dream of a longer sequence with even better light and perhaps facing me a little more.  

Enjoyable to see this so clearly.

Paul Schmitt

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful, Paul! That beak must make for heavy lifting for such a small bird! I am already sighing a bit to scroll through your lovely Eastern image captures. . .we're moving to California next month. There will be lots of wildlife and flowers there, but nothing quite like these delights! I'm very happy you will still be in my inbox! :) Cynthia Lunine

    ReplyDelete