Friday, July 5, 2024

How Time, and the Nesting Season Flies


The birds that nest around my home are a favorite part of summer, It begins with their song long before the furious rush begins to feed their chicks.  It's already over for my beloved House Wrens. Let me explain.

My Mom said I was skipping school one morning in May. I was in third grade.  A pair of  House Wrens had built their nest in the clothespin bag that hung above the porch railing, close to our kitchen window.  She said the wren chicks were close to leaving the nest.  I sat at the kitchen window with a view of the nest, and as predicted, the little wrens formed a line along the porch railing begging for food.  I was hooked.  

Now, we've had House Wrens nesting for 35 years. Sometimes, the pair becomes very accepting of our presence. Other times it seems to be a new pair and we are scolded. This year's pair is accepting.  I have learned that the adults often sing when they bring food to the box.  Later, I will explain why this is important.  

Seven days ago, this wren brought a dark caterpillar, and the chicks were too small to appear in the nest hole. 

Initially, the adult enters into the box.  The exit is very fast and a challenge to capture. They have 3 to 5 beaks to fill, so there is not time to waste.

 

Actually, as the chicks grow, the pace gets frantic. Sometimes, I've timed the visits at under a minute with both adults active.

Occasionally the adult is inside for a while. It is usually housekeeping.  Specifically, the chore is removing a fecal pellet.  Again, hard to get the timing.

Soon,  feeding is often outside.  


Now, the hole gets crowded.

Surely, this was what my Mother saw on the evening before she decided to keep me home.  I clearly recall that she explained how I was going to learn more than my third grade teacher could offer.  However, her words were a bit sharper than I'd care to repeat. 

A day later the box was empty, and I was hearing the adults singing to the fledglings in the bushes out front. The early singing before delivering food is conditioning the chicks to exit the box when it is time to leave the box. I've also seen this in woodpeckers. 

A day later now, and it sounds like the wrens have dispersed. How quickly the nesting season disappears. 

Thanks, Mom.

Paul Schmitt

No comments:

Post a Comment