Monday, October 2, 2023

Autumn 2023- No Colors, What to Do

The title says it clearly for the Northeast US.  In May we had a killing freeze that coincided with critical times for many fruit and forest trees blossoms.  Many oaks lost all their leaves and some of those failed to send up new leaves.  Fruit trees suffered as did grapes.

Then we had a dry period for a month.  Did not help.  The rain returned but damage was done.  The landmark red maple on my street that always has had  brilliant red is dull brown.  

What to do to salvage some autumn beauty?  I've got some ideas.

First, abandon plans for those grandiose wide angle landscapes.  Think small.  Here is a simple maple that had some nice red leaves on a foggy morning.

 Next,  go elsewhere for autumn.  There are late blooming bushes that are in flower like honeysuckle.  I found this on a walk towards Rock Creek Park in DC.  My phone camera was adequate for this.

Think asters. Fall is their season to shine.  These were in Mundy Wildflower Garden on Cornell campus.  The seed head on the grass stalk make this doubly attractive.

There are an abundance of fall flowers like asters, Black-eyed Susan's, and Goldenrod. Here's two of those growing together, also at the wildflower garden.



 

Fall is also fungi season, especially after some rain.  Just don't delay.  Mushrooms can fade quickly or become deer food.

Let's look at more fungi for ideas.  In this example, I composed so you can see where this golden cluster is to be found.

This last image is really going to an unexpected place. It's some scarlet fungi growing on a stack of rotting logs. Look closely and find the small green slug on the lower area. Not sure if it is passing through or feeding.  Either way,  red and green are complementary so I pulled out my phone and captured it. 


 

I have long felt that autumn is challenging.  There are expectations to find the expansive landscape view with so much included in one capture.  Looking closely offers more opportunities.  When the colors fail to be available, it's a perfect reason to look closely.  

I hope this inspires you to delight in the intimate parts of the season.

Paul Schmitt

DISCLAIMER: Due to the writer's strike and upcoming travel, my copy editor is unavailable to proof read my text.  Errors are of my own doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment