Monday, October 14, 2019

Double Allium- A Sculpture in Metal and Glass

This is the first time I have devoted a post to just one photo.  It took months to make it. This one photo was the result of a visualization that combined a beautiful metal and a glass sculpture with autumn colors.  It is found in the entry to the Cornell Arboretum's Nevin Welcome Center.

As I viewed the work of Jenny Pickford, a British metal sculptor, I merged the sculpture with the arrival of autumn colors on the Cornell campus.  In the background were maple trees that promised to present some rich reds or oranges.  Some research suggested that in early October, the sun position would bathe the scene with nice side lighting.  The uncontrolled factor was weather.  I needed a day with a lingering sunrise after the sun cleared the trees to the east. It all came together on Friday, October 11 at 8:43 am.



 If the weather had not co-operated,  I guess you'd be waiting until 2020 for the photo.

Paul Schmitt

3 comments:

  1. Stunning and so original. I just took my granddaughter to see it. The liveliness of the sculpture is complemented by the vibrancy of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo and story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete