Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Showy Lady's-slippers

My field guide for wild orchids of the Northeastern United States indicates Cypripedium reginae is occasional in New York.  They seem more rare than occasional.  Seeing them is always exciting.  Here's why. In groups they are spectacular.





























Individual plants often host interesting little critters.  This little spider refused to come around to the shady side of the leaf; likely the dew had evaporated from his sunny side.


When I look closely at the blooms, I discover even more of interest. Flying insects best be wary when they enter the flower.





























Cypripedium reginae doesn't live in a  mono-culture, so there are interesting complementary plants like this Water Avens, Geum rivale, whose flower is now growing into a spiky seed head. 





























It just seems to me that when I am photographing these orchids, I see faces such as in this portrait of two ladies with friends beyond. 


I see the resemblance to slippers, but I still see faces first.  It affects how I approach the composition.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment